Sunday, November 4, 2007

Thing # 10 Google/You Tube

Well I took the real You Tube plunge this weekend. You see I have shown students some You Tube clips in recent weeks including Shift Happens, and some campaign '08 soundbites from the candidates on their Road to the White House trail. I found out (at home this weekend) that some You Tube searches could not be viewed due to the mature nature of the subject entered into their search engine. This led me to registering (and creating a User Name and Password) with You Tube so I can access those. I do feel however that I cannot and will not show any You Tube clip requiring me to log-in. This means the due to the mature subject matter my audience at school is too young and thus it is inappropriate. This makes sense to me perfectly. Additionally, I would never share a clip with students before viewing it first myself.


Lastly, why can't we share video clips from CNN? Frequently they have the clips I really want to share but cannot show at school due to the firewall that has been put up in SPPS to block their videos.

In any case, it is all very informative and also important for me to continue to learn how these search engines work. Also we all might want to discuss the nature of ethics and the appropriate use of these videos in our school.

1 comment:

lyoder said...

You should be able to use the CNN clips- we have used CNN Student News for years with our teachers. I'll try to check on this for you.

Leslie