Sunday, December 2, 2007

Thing #19 Audio: Steve and Audio Podcasts

According to Wikipedia ". . . a podcast is a digital media file, or a related collection of such files, which is distributed over the Internet using syndication feeds for playback on portable media players and personal computers. The term, like "radio", can refer either to the content itself or to the method by which it is syndicated; the latter is also termed podcasting. The host or authorof a podcast is often called a podcaster."

Being a Social Studies teacher and a student of History, I love all things U.S. History. I am also a follower of the Gilder Lehrman Institute but never took advantage of the podcasts they offered. In fact, until I became involved with the Information Literacy Initiative I did not know what a podcast was. Then a few weeks ago on staff development day, Leslie came over to como to share with staff some information on podcasts and podcasting. Even after that it was still a bit fuzzy in my head. Well early this morning (about 2:00 a.m.)I woke up and was wide awake. So what better thing to do then learn new things about the equipment we were given-in bed! I went to the Audio Podcast from the Gilder Lehrman Institute and listened to an audio podcast created on 2-28-07 by one of my favorite contemporary historians and featured lecturer at The G.L. Inst.-Doris Kearns Goodwin. The lecture? Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. I LOVED it! I learned so much and did not have any distractions-just a dark room, my earbuds on, and my mind back in the 19th century. In summary I learned that in in today's information age when presidential candidates are vetted through the media-one wonders if we will ever see the likes of an Abraham Lincoln again!

I definately will be listening and watching podcasts in the future. If for no other reason than to learn more about history. Upcoming podcasts at G.L. include lectures by Henry Louis Gates Jr. and Gordon Wood, among others. You might check out: www.gilderlehrman.org

Lastly, I do have one question. Are YouTube and CNN vidoe clips I enjoy viewing podcasts? I don't know.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds like you're really bonding with your laptop! They are addictive, aren't they? Linda

HPSH WXman's 23 things said...

Check out iTunes U in the iTunes store. They have podcast lectures from universities from all over te country. You might find some great history lectures here.