Sunday, December 16, 2007

Thing # 8 Dribbling lessons

I was thrilled to see that there is a Dribbling content areas lesson for the social studies. Social studies frequently takes a back seat to math and science at the secondary level unfortunately. This is not the case however with Metronet. I am in the process of creating a lesson with my Hmong History and Culture class which will hopefully make the same real-world connections between students and their community and achieve the same goals that the MN Department of Education has set. To that end, I will blog my results as soon as I have them.

On a separate note, I recommend to SPPS staff that they check out the the recentSPPS bulletin (12 14) to staff regarding titled Healthy Alternatives to Chairs and Desks. The Mayo Clinic's obesity reseacher Dr. James Levine has developed several concepts after two decades of international research. Among other things he recommends: Video-streamed pod-casting as a teaching aid. So the distribution of pod casts as school lessons seems to really be gaining speed. The question I have is will the use of podcasts encourage our students to continue to reinforce television and related media as the only source of gathering information and in lieu of reading books, textbooks and otherwise.

1 comment:

rekomili said...

As a social studies teacher, this pleases me as well!